Whether you’re spending valentine’s day with a partner or with your friends, it doesn’t have to be about giving fancy gifts, we see it as an opportunity to celebrate our loved ones. We can show our love to people in many ways and if Valentine’s day is something that you decide to celebrate, what better way to celebrate, than with food? So we’ve brought together some seriously delicious recipes here for you, to share with those closest to you! (They’re low in calories too… ish!).
We know life is busy and you may only be able to spare a few moments of the day to celebrate, so there are recipes here for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks so you can fit your ‘romantic meal’ in wherever you can!
If you’re running low on time, why not make a loved one a smoothie- it’s easy to make and if they’re busy they can have it on the go! Here’s the recipe of one of our favourites, the Cherry Chocolate Smoothie…
- 200ml unsweetened almond milk
- 120g fresh or frozen pitted sweet cherries
- 40g frozen banana
- 25g chocolate flavour whey or rice protein powder (optional)
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cocoa nibs
- 1 tsp flaxseed
Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend well until creamy
Pause and scrape down the sides if required.
Add more milk if required – this will help the mixture blend.
Aim for a thick consistency.
Transfer the mixture to a glass and refrigerate.
Rinse the blender jug and blade.
Per serving: 282 Cals, 35g Carbs, 22g Protein, 6g Fat
Staying on the smoothies theme, here’s what we think would make the perfect valentine’s breakfast, everyone’s mornings are different, some of you might be enjoying breakfast in bed and some of you might have this while you’re at work. This recipe for Almond Protein Pancakes is perfect for keeping you sustained throughout the day and aiding your concentration.
- 30g ground almonds
- 30g vanilla flavour whey or rice protein powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of sea salt
- 65ml unsweetened almond milk or whole milk
- 1 egg
- 11/2 tbsps coconut oil
for the toppings:
- 50g fresh berries of your choice
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
Combine the ground almonds, protein powder, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
Add the milk and egg and stir well.
Heat 1 tsp oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. When the oil is hot, spoon 11/2 tbsps of the batter into the centre of the frying pan.
Cook for 2 minutes or until bubbles begin to form in the centre.
Reduce the heat to low then flip the pancake and cook for 3 minutes.
Repeat with the remaining oil and batter. Serve topped with fresh berries of your choice and maple syrup.
Store any leftover pancakes in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days
Per serving: 115 Cals, 7g Carbs, 6g Protein, 7g Fat
So next on the list is a snack, maybe you’re both working for valentines day or maybe you’ve got friends coming over for your own ‘galentines’ celebration. Well this Chocolate Swirl Fudge is perfecting for snacking on or as a gift! You can even make this one in advance.
For the fudge:
- 40g coconut cream (use the fat part from the top of a tin of coconut milk)
- 80g coconut oil,
- melted 30g cocoa powder
- 25g maple syrup
- 35g hazelnut or almond butter a small pinch of sea salt
for the swirl effect:
- 10g coconut cream
Place the fudge ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk well, until smooth.
Line the base of a small loaf tin or baking tin with cling film or baking paper.
Pour the mixture over the top and spread evenly.
To create the swirl effect, drizzle the remaining coconut cream over the top of the fudge. Using a toothpick, gently swirl it through the mixture, to create a marbled effect. Avoid the temptation to over-do this, as the swirl pattern will look less effective.
Freeze for 30 minutes, or until firm. Cut into 15 pieces. Serve.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
For an extra valentine theme, use a heart shaped cutter instead of making square slices!
Per serving: 84 Cals, 2g Carbs, 1g Protein , 8g Fat
With Valentine’s Day being on Monday this year, the majority of people will be working, so the lunch that we chose is one that is perfect for packing up and taking to work with you, giving it to a loved one or even cooking it together in the evening ready for the next day! Here is the Chicken Fattoush…
- 80g cucumber, sliced
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped \
- 60g red onion, sliced
- 1 small lettuce (any variety), shredded
- a handful of fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- a handful of fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sumac (or substitute with 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest)
for the shredded chicken:
- 2 x 150g chicken breasts
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 – 1 tsp sea salt
for the dressing:
- 1/2 a garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsps malt vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tsp sumac (or substitute with 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest)
Place the chicken breast into a large saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with 1 inch of cold water.
Place the saucepan over a medium/high heat and bring the water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked throughout. Remove the chicken from the water and transfer to a plate to cool. Shred with a fork.
Arrange the salad ingredients in two serving bowls. Top with the chicken.
Mix the dressing ingredients in a jug and drizzle over the salads.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per Serving:, 269 Cals, 14g Carbs, 33g Protein, 9g Fat
And finally, we chose a dinner for you that, while it is indulgent, is easy to make and will leave you satisfied and happy- as food should! This recipe is extremely versatile because ingredients can be swapped out to make this meal gluten free, dairy free or to include meat.
- ½ tbsp paprika
- ½ tbsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 400g canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained- replace with chicken for a meat version
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tortilla wraps (use gluten free if preferred)
for the sauce:
- 100ml plain yoghurt (use dairy free if preferred)
- ½ a lemon, juiced
- 15g tahini
for the salad:
- 30g carrot, grated
- 50g red cabbage, finely shredded
- 60g red bell-pepper, chopped
Place the dried spices, salt, chickpeas and 1 tbsp olive oil in a large bowl. Mash well with a fork.
Place the sauce ingredients in a bowl and stir well.
Place the carrot, cabbage and bell-pepper in a bowl and stir well.
Spoon half of the chickpea mixture onto each wrap, followed by the sauce and salad. Tuck in the sides of the wrap and roll them tightly.
Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan or griddle. Add the wraps and toast for 1 minute on each side.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days
This is also perfect for saving and eating for lunch the next day!
Per Serving: 508 cals, 54g Carbs, 19g Protein, 24g Fat
So we hope that you enjoy whichever one of these you may decide to make and you have a lovely Valentine’s day, however you decide to celebrate!
6 week body transformation course
Here at DKnine Fitness, we ONLY work with Busy Men & Women over the age of 30. The reason for this is simple, WE GET IT!
We get what it is like to have to come home after a stressful day at work and have to cook for the whole family. We get that most days, you struggle to find the energy to do the things YOU want to do.
We get that you have let yourself go because you are now further down the list of important people in your family.
So what we do is simple, we share with you a few very simple habits that can help you lose as much as 1.5 stone in 30 days and lead to that Life Long Transformation without having to go on any crazy diet or spend hours in the gym.
Our 6 Week Body Transformation Course, what is it? People come to us because they NEED more, more motivation, accountability and professional coaches who can get them results. We have 2 sessions types, Strong & Team.
🔥Team sessions are more Bootcamp, faster-paced and tend to be larger groups, these are based around fat burning, circuit style training and aiming to not only get you fit & healthy, but ensure your heart health too!
🔥Strong Sessions are weight based training, programmed each 4 weeks and you get more 1-1 time with the coaches during sessions. Not only are you looking to lose weight, but shape your body, tone up and feel mentally and physically stronger again. These are typically the sessions you wouldn’t do without a coach there as people don’t have the knowledge to programme a session/course to get results.
Our classes run all day, starting at 6AM and the last session running from 7:30PM- 8:15PM. You get unlimited sessions per week for the duration of the course. You book in and out via our booking app, which is flexible and sessions can be booked and cancelled just 20 minutes before each class.
- I highly recommend DKnine as a gym. It’s not just a gym, it’s a community. Great members, superb coaches and absolutely no judgement just encouragement and growth towards your goals. – Dionne G
- The coaches, the office staff are so dedicated to what they do for us ,nothing is ever too much trouble for them.Members come first in this community, because that’s what it is not your normal run of the mill gym. -Carol D
- I can’t believe I’ve completed my 6 week course with DKnine Fitness, it flew by so I’ve signed straight back up for another one! I still feel I am at the beginning of my personal journey but have loved every minute of it so far. The team is amazing and so helpful and positive. It’s also a great opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. It’s so different from plucking up the courage to go to other leisure facilities. I really feel like I am part of something and it’s really boosted my confidence. I don’t think I’ve been this fit in years! So come on people, take the plunge and do it for you! -Liane